Friday, January 20, 2012

California Baby Calming Shampoo and Bodywash

UPDATE: We just heard the news that new formulations of certain California Baby products, including this shampoo, will contain the preservative sodium benzoate.  Although sodium benzoate has a low EWG  (Environmental Working Group) rating of 1, we believe this important to report and will be posting other alternatives soon.

So I'm sure many of you saw the news late last year about certain Johnson and Johnson's Baby products containing formaldehyde-releasing ingredients.  I'm so thankful it created such a firestorm in the mainstream press because companies are facing pressure to change their formulations in addition to the FDA starting to actually do their job (ok, maybe not quite).  But the fact is, this is not new news.  And just a quick scan of the ingredients on some your favorite products - baby or not - will reveal a host of poisonous substances.  And those are only the ones that are disclosed on the label.  Yikes.


So I digress...but first and foremost, I'm a mom.  So limiting chemical exposure for my son during his most vulnerable years is a main priority for me.  And I guess I couldn't wait even a week to post my review of California Baby Calming Body Shampoo!  Plus, I've had a lot of questions about my favorite baby products.  I'm a big fan of California Baby ever since our son Nicolas was born two years ago.  When he was younger, we used the brand's unscented body shampoo but once he was older, we switched to the Calming version and I just love it.  It's great for baby's hair, face and body, is super gentle and non-drying.  It leaves his skin so soft we rarely use any lotion on him. 

The Shampoo and Bodywash uses organic, all-natural vegetable glucoside cleansers that are non-stripping, sulfate-free and extremely biodegradable.  It's also allergy-tested and tear-free, so you can use it for baby's first bath.  In full transparency, because the bodywash is sulfate-free, it won't lather like your typical bodywashes but baby doesn't know the difference, right?  What you do get with this product is the peace of mind that you are using something safe and gentle for your child.

The soft and subtle scent is a calming aromatherapy blend that includes French lavender and clary sage which promote calmness. I won't name names but there are designer baby shampoos out there that smell way too strong - and I think a baby should smell like a baby!   Plus, California Baby uses natural ingredients to scent their products instead of chemical fragrances.

One of the things I love most about this brand is that it's also great for adults with sensitive skin and this cleanser is no exception, it acts as a great non-drying facial wash for mom or dad.

An 8.5 oz bottle of California Baby Calming Shampoo and Bodywash retails for approximately $12.00 and can be purchased at Whole Foods and www.diapers.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment