Saturday, April 7, 2012

California Baby Sunscreens for the Whole Fam!

It's that time of year, the sun is getting stronger, and if you're like me and outside with your tot all day, you know you need to protect their (and your) skin from the sun's damaging rays. The challenge with sunscreen is that there are no truly safe ones.  Many contain the horomone-distrupting chemical oxybenzone or Vitamin A (retinal palmitate), which, according to recent scientific research, may be photocarcinogenic - that it may heighten skin cancer risk when used on sun-exposed skin.  So the very sunscreen we were using to prevent skin cancer may very well give us skin cancer!  Ugh. 

So how do you choose a safer option?  Look at the ingredients, particularly the active ones.  You want to select a mineral sunscreen, containing zinc or titanium.  These sunscreens sit on top of the skin scattering and reflecting rays instead of being rubbed into the skin like their chemical counterparts.  The challenge with zinc/titanium sunscreens is that they are thicker, and spreading can become a chore, depending on the brand.  A few months ago my husband and I had ran out of our California Baby sunscreen so at the last minute, I purchased another natural brand and we couldn't spread it evenly across our skin and were ghostly white.  So annoying!

I love California Baby SPF 18 Everyday/Year-round Sunscreen since I use it myself.  It's scented with a natural aromatherapy blend that includes lemongrass and is so light on the skin, you won't believe its not a traditional sunscreen.  When I'm going to be out all day, I use it as a daily moisturizer lotion for my face.

For my son, we use California Baby No Fragrance SPF 30.  It's just a tad thicker but safer for his sensitive skin.  We use this one ourselves from time to time too, when the sun is really strong and we need more coverage.

California Baby products can be purchased at Whole Foods, www.soap.com, or www.amazon.com and they range from $18 - $23.  A bit pricey but a worthwhile investment!  

No comments:

Post a Comment